Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Its so good to be here, but...

Another gorgeous day in Africa... hmmmm it's so good to be here, although there is one thing that amazes me! I've seen it loads of times, and perhaps I'm missing the point, but why are children not strapped into their car seats?

This is one thing, no matter what, that I will not budge on. I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened to my child. In a country where our accident rates are so high, why would people even want to take a chance? I've seen it all; toddlers hanging out front windows, children climbing all over the seats with hands in front of parents eyes, the child and the dog hanging out the window together, just to name a few. Not only is it distracting for the driver, which in itself could cause an accident, but it is very dangerous. But still people continue to do it. Do we have enough awareness out there about the dangers? I think not, but that's open to debate I guess.

I've been unfortunate enough to have been in a car accident not that long ago, and let me tell you, it happened so quickly that I almost didn't even know it was happening. Fate so dealt me a wonderful hand, that quite by chance my little boy was in a car in front of me, however, just the thought was shock enough for me that he could've been in that car. These things happen, and they happen everyday. We all really need to be responsible, we are dealing with children's lives here.

The Easter weekend is coming up, and so many people are out on the roads, please, please, please, please, strap up the little ones, drive safely yourself, rest enough and take it easy.

Happy travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment